Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Lincoln Into Art



It is no secret that I have been a bit obsessed with Lincoln since I was a young kid.  I just simply always enjoyed learning about him and my world is filled with various little trinkets in his image.  Just surveying my classroom, you will find a Lincoln blanket, a puppet and all manner of stuffed knick knacks resembling the 16th president.

On a recent trek to Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary of the infamous battle, I stumbled upon a unique art studio in which the resident artist, Wendy Allen, has devoted her craft to portraying Lincoln through art.

As I surveyed her works, Wendy was kind and accommodated my various questions.  I will never pretend to be an art critic and will readily admit that the furthest I got anywhere artistically in school was creating clay paint bombs that secured me the wrath of my art teacher.  That being said, I walked around Wendy's gallery in total appreciation of what she had created.

She was quick to point out that she considers what she creates are landscapes of Lincoln and not portraits.  In every painting there is something new to discover in Lincoln and each is unique in its portrayal.

It is also interesting to note that Wendy has chosen Gettysburg as the locale in which to create.  "It's a powerful environment in which to paint because the events at Gettysburg 150 years ago changed the course of world history.  I believe that America's soul was born the instant Lincoln concluded his Gettysburg address on November 19, 1863.  In that moment, he made true the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution."

It has been over 30 years since Allen began painting Lincoln and based upon my two visits to her studio, I think it is safe to assume that Lincoln can still continue to inspire.

For more information you can visit Wendy Allen at her website where you can order her fantastic book or if you are in the Gettysburg area, I highly suggest popping in for a visit.  Wendy is especially kind and gracious.  She even took pity on this poor miserable sap and got me some aloe spray for my severely sunburned neck.  And of course as always check out my website at One if by Land Adventures


No comments:

Post a Comment