Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Confederate in the Attic



Years ago I read a very compelling book called Confederates in the Attic which details our enduring fascination with the Civil War.  The author, Tony Horwitz, had always been interested in the war but through the years his interest had been put aside by other things, that is until the Civil War unexpectedly crashed through his front yard by way of a documentary being filmed.

Horwitz decided dig a bit deeper into Civil War lore and began following around re-enactors who devote an incredible amount of time recreating and honoring what happened 150 years ago.  One of the re-enactors that is profiled is a very dedicated man named Robert Lee Hodge who is known as being one of the most truly authentic re-enactors out there.

I recently took part in the 150th commemoration of Gettysburg.  The highlight was the memorial march of Pickett's charge on July 3 in which the public, along with re-enactors marched across the fields recreating the infamous charge minus the carnage but with me running away screaming from the potential of seeing a snake.

As I was standing around not really knowing what to do, I noticed a re-enactor standing alone in the field to my right and I instantly recognized him as Hodge.  Through the years of talking about the book with my class, students had asked me to google image Hodge so I knew it definitely had to be him.  I milled around for a second and debated whether to disturb him.  He looked pretty deep in thought so I was a little hesitant.  Eventually I mustered up the courage and started filming the pre-charge preparations and panned over to Hodge and struck up a conversation.  Looking back I should have asked permission to film him but the heat and lack of water obviously affected my etiquette.  Hodge did not seem to really care though.

Now I gotta admit that there is a stereotype that these re-enactors are just a bunch of rednecks who chum around and play war like little kids.  People have often not really understood why anyone would go to such lengths to portray an event from over 150 years ago.   Well, everyone has their own interests.  I personally do not understand why anyone would obsess over Justin Bieber, but I don't fault anyone for doing so.  Well, actually.....

Robert Lee Hodge proved to be an incredibly articulate and knowledgable man.  His commitment to history education and preservation is commendable.  In addition to re-enacting, Hodge also gives battlefield tours and travels the country giving lectures.  To find out more information about him and possibly book him for a tour simply visit his website.  Of course, don't be afraid to check out my website at One if by Land Adventures too.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite book of all time - no doubt about it. I went on two Civil War road trips through Horwitz's inspiration, and it really pays off when I teach the Ciivl War. @chucktaft

    ReplyDelete