Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Beekman 4th


Reality television.....love it or hate it, it is definitely a part of the American culture today.  There are a limited number of them that I can take before I feel as if my brain cells are being depleted and I shake my head at the utter nonsense of such shows as Honey Boo Boo and the loads of Kardashian garbage.

That being said, a friend told me about a reality show called The Fabulous Beekman Boys a couple of years ago and I was instantly hooked on the show.  It explores the trials and tribulations of Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Brent Ridge as they move from city living to establishing their own farm and lifestyle brand known as Beekman 1802.  The great thing about the show is there is a true sense of honesty and both Brent and Josh are incredibly likable.  The inhabitants of Sharon Springs, NY are also featured and they add the kind of flair that instantly makes you want to move there.  

Josh and Brent are probably more well known as the winning couple on a recent season of The Amazing Race, which I must admit has been the one reality show that I have been a constant viewer of.    When they were announced as contestants I was very excited to see them on TV once again, but after the first few episodes I honestly kinda figured that each episode would be their last since they were just barely hanging on and other teams seemed to be getting more air time.  Much to my surprise and excitement they ended up winning.  It was seriously the first time I have ever jumped for joy during a TV show.  

Being a geography teacher, I decided to see if the Beekman boys would Skype with my class as an introductory geography lesson.  While Josh and Brent were on the show I was especially impressed with the way they played the game.  Rather than resorting to back stabbing all kinds of negative behavior that is often portrayed on reality shows, they played with dignity and fairness, not forgetting common decency.  I felt that was important lesson for my students to understand.  Luckily, Josh agreed to chat with us and answered the kids questions about the race and what he and Brent learned on their journey around the world.  

When I hit the road earlier this month, I decided to travel up to the Adirondacks and decided to stop by the Beekman 1802 Mercantile for a little shopping trip and hopefully thank Josh in person for Skyping with the kiddos.  When I got there, Brent was manning the store and Josh was nowhere to be seen.  Looking back, I really hope that Brent was not offended by my disappointment that Josh was not there.  

I guess sensing my sadness, Brent told me that they were going to be grilling some hot dogs in the local park and that I should stop by for a visit.  Honestly, I'm not sure whether he was asking me to do a quick meet and greet and then be on my merry way or not.  Regardless, I showed up and and Josh graciously offered me a bourbon slushee which helped ease my nerves a bit.....especially after the second one.

I have never been a social butterfly and meeting new people has always made me freak out a bit.  Small talk has never been one of my strengths, but armed with the slushee, I did manage to chat up some of the locals who were exactly how I thought they would be; very friendly and welcoming.  Despite that, I felt a bit like a party crasher and fidgeted a bit not sure of what to say when the conversation lapsed.  I figured since 2 slushess were doled out then I couldn't have been too unwelcome.  

Toward the end of the evening, Josh asked me out to the farm for an early morning tour which I jumped at the chance at.  Seriously, who would turn that down?  Luckily, The American Hotel, which is featured in the Fabulous Beekman Boys had some availability that night and I was able to stay there, furthering my reality show experience.  The owners, Doug Plummer and Garth Roberts were especially gracious and made me feel more like a long lost relative rather than a hotel guest.  It was the first and most likely last time I will ever be hugged by the owners of a hotel upon checkout!

Selfie with Josh Kilmer-Purcell.  Dang, wanted Brent too!
Luckily the Beekman Farm was easy to find and I seriously hoped that Josh remembered that he had invited me.  I certainly did not want to be that creepy fan that just shows up and knocks on the door.  Despite my initial fears, Josh met me on the porch and proceeded to take me around the property for a little farm and history tour.  The Beekman Mansion is gorgeous and the television show honestly did not do it justice.  Usually when I visit famous locales, I am often a little disappointed due to my elevated expectations.

Josh pointing out details on a tombstone
Josh led my down to the family crypt and explained that the Beekmans had buried their dead in an adjoining field but that it was totally trashed and the tombstones were knocked over.  The recovered tombstones were all relocated into the family crypt which gave it an even more eerie quality even though it was light outside.  One cool thing that Josh pointed out was that some of the family members listed the cause of death on the stones.  One unfortunate member of the family was run over by a carriage at a young age.  Josh hypothesized that they inscribed the cause of death as a warning to others in the family.  In addition, to the stones, there are also some human remains like what appeared to be a jawbone and a tooth.  Josh picked up a pliable piece of material and asked me to guess what it was.  Turned out it was a piece of a lead lined coffin.

Who could go to the Beekman Farm without paying tribute to the famed diva of the property, Polka Spot the resident diva llama.  Polka Spot became a celebrity in her own right on the Fabulous Beekman Boys for often naughty behavior and eccentric personality.  When I entered the barn, Josh pointed out Polka Spot and she immediately cast some shade my way.  She totally earned her diva status by looking at me and then staring me down until I left.  Luckily, Farmer John who tends to the goats was much more personable.

After checking out the barn, Josh told me that I was free to roam around on my own since he was needing to hop in the shower and get ready to head to the mercantile.  Josh and Brent recently got married and he told me to go check out the hill on the property where they conducted the nuptials.  I'm glad that I stuck around and trudged up the hill because the views from up there were like something from a postcard.

When I made it back to my car, Farmer John was mowing and waved at me.  With that, my Beekman adventure came to an end.  I was very fortunate to be able to spend some time in Sharon Springs and with these two very down to earth and friendly men.  I was hoping that the way they were portrayed on television was an honest view, and from my short experience with them, in real life they are even more likable.

Polka Spot staring me down.

A visit to Sharon Spring is highly recommended and even if you can't make it there you can order the Beekman brand and get some amazing recipes at Beekman 1802.  Honestly, I got the Mortgage Lifter Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta and kept just eating it out of the jar with a spoon.  The Salty Goat Fudge Cookies I bought were originally meant to be a gift, but they did not survive very long on the car with me.


The Beekman 1802 Mercantile in Sharon Springs, New York




No comments:

Post a Comment