Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Thanks Matt



As a history teacher, I have to address topics that can sometimes make me a little depressed, especially after teaching it to four different classes.  Man, it can sometimes take a toll on the mood.  Although I didn't really want to, I felt it was my duty to as a teacher to have a discussion about what happened at Sandy Hook and get the kids thoughts about not only the horrific tragedy, but also about the debate our country is now embroiled in regarding guns.

We discussed it and I honestly felt that my kids had more reasoned responses than some of what the media has been throwing at us for the last few weeks.  Regardless, it was not exactly a bright and happy talk that we were having.

During the last ten minutes of class I wanted to end with a little something more upbeat to clear some of the gloom and doom so I showed them Matt Harding's latest "Dancing" video.  For the last several years Matt has been traveling the globe and filming himself and others dancing.  What I really like about his videos is the intentional or not so intentional feeling of connectivity across the earth.  So often we turn on the news and it is about the latest shooting or unrest in a foreign country.  You would think based upon the media that this planet has few redeeming qualities, but what this video does, at least for me, is reminds me that there is beauty everywhere.  The looks on the peoples faces as they are dancing is that of pure joy.

I could not help but smile each of the four times I showed this today and the reaction the kids had to it afterwards.  Although we discussed some serious matters today, it was nice that the kids left with some feeling of hope and safety.  Sometimes in this crazy world, you just have to be reminded that despite all the negative, there are some pretty great things to be thankful for.


No comments:

Post a Comment