Thursday, July 19, 2012

Crotch Powder and Candles?

I will readily admit that I am a gift shop junkie.  I am very well aware of some historians who cringe at the thought of placing gift shops at historic sites, but in most cases I find their products helpful in teaching history.  Usually they are filled with books, postcards, and reproductions.  Pretty standard stuff really.

Manassas battlefield is another story though.  It was at Manassas that two major Civil War battles were fought, the first being one of the opening engagements of the war.  It is a wonderful and impactful place to visit.  The opening film in the visitor center is top notch and the park rangers are very helpful.  Upon entering the gift shop I spotted the usual wares but then my eyes fell upon something called "crotch powder" which was apparently used to calm the chafing of the fine young soldiers.  For 15 bucks you too can march in comfort!

I can sort of forgive the crotch powder a little bit since it probably does have some historical meaning but I laughed and then grimaced a bit at the next two items I saw on the shopping spree.  I am rarely without chapstick but I never thought I would actually find some on a battlefield.  Yes at Manassas you can support either side of the conflict with their official Civil War lip balm.  You yankee northerners can slather some Billy Yank on your lips or if you are a Confederate you can pucker up for some Johnny Reb mint julep flavored balm.  I guess if you are confused about where they have their allegiance, all you have to do is kiss them to find out.

The other perplexing items were the candles. When I think of the death and carnage that resulted from these two battles, pretty scents do not come to mind, but if you want to bring the experience of battle home with you, there are some choices to be made.  Are you partial to First Manassas?  If so, then you can fill your home with the scent of honeysuckle.  Of course maybe you are more inclined to the even deadlier Second Manassas. In that case you can look forward to your home smelling of cotton blossom.  Either way, war smells delightful!



Now I am sure that these items make the NPS money which I would never criticize.  It just seems a little bizarre to me and frankly I am just a bit bizarre myself which is quite telling.  The question I sometimes ponder is where does it go from here?  I mean can you imagine a place like Aushwitz selling little trinkets?

No comments:

Post a Comment