Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I'm gonna find you Mrs. Surratt!


After my visit to Congressional Cemetery, I still wanted to track down one of the most controversial and debated of the conspirators.  Mary Surratt was convicted of taking part in the plot to assassinate President Lincoln and others.  She became the first woman to ever be executed by the federal government.

A lot of mystery has swirled around her guilt or innocence for the last 143 years.  Some feel she was simply caught up in the hysteria and vengeance around wanting to make someone pay for the crime, while others believe that she played a vital role in the plot and deserved what she got.

The 2.5 mile hike in the blazing heat was brutal!  No Metro stops close by and no cab was willing to pick up a stinking sweaty tourist.  Anyway, after getting to Mt. Olivet Cemetery, I asked the staff for assistance in finding her gravesite.   I was then informed that due to a request by the descendants of Mary Surratt, the staff was no longer allowed to tell anyone where the gravesite was.  I seriously thought they were playing with me, but apparently the family was not happy with all the attention surrounding The Conspirator film.

Despite the run around from the cemetery staff, I checked out Find a Grave and was excited to see that they had the location listed.  Despite the directions it still took me forever to find the grave.  It turns out that I have a horrible sense of direction.  The grave itself is very simple and only says "Mrs. Surratt".

I found you!  You can't run and you certainly can't hide
After relishing in finally tracking her down, the realization of hiking back over 2 and a half miles to the Metro sunk in.  To those people who had to sit next to me on the way home, I am so sorry.  I truly smelt of death and sweat.


No comments:

Post a Comment