Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Ride Begins

There is nothing better than a field trip.  As a young kid, I remember being so excited at the prospect of getting out of the classroom , even if just for an hour.  Every year the highlight would be our annual field day in which we would compete in games against other schools.  For some reason I was always the kid that got volunteered for the potato sack race, that is until my career ending broken ankle in the fifth grade.

As a teacher, I still get excited for field trips and look forward to taking my students to Boston each year for a journey into our revolutionary history.  A few years back I set the goal of visiting every historic site that I teach about.  I have done very well thus far but there is a nagging feeling that I always have when I leave each spot.

Since I began teaching 15 years ago I have had a dream of teaching students on site.  Not just as a tour guide but as a teacher.  In recent years, I have felt that the confines of the classroom have been a bit suffocating and have been wanting to take my passion for teaching history on the road.  Visting all of these places in the last few years has cemented my drive to teach on location.  This is where the idea for One if By Land Adventures came into being.

My dream is to transition from a classroom teacher and take my lessons to the actual sites where I will teach students through live feeds and pre-recorded lessons.  I also envision visiting schools and bringing history to them through live reenactments and re-creations of famous historic events.  For years, I have been been turning our schools theatre into the aftermath of the Boston Massacre, with students investigating the crime scene.  I can only imagine what it could become with a REAL budget.

One if by Blog is the first step toward making my dream become reality.  I am excited at the prospects and hope that you will join me on all my future adventures through our past.

No comments:

Post a Comment