Sunday, September 11, 2011

Reflections on 9/11

Throughout the last week I have been watching the mounting 9/11 coverage and then got up early this morning to see the services being held in New York, Washington D.C. and Shanksville, Pennsylvania.  Although 10 years have passed, it still seems so fresh and new.

10 years ago, I was just beginning teaching in Tampa and trying to settle in with the new environment and new students.  I honestly do not think there is any way to prepare for a day like 9/11 as a teacher.  On one hand I wanted to shield my students from the carnage, but the American history teacher in me had to share with them about what was going on.

As my 2nd period marched into class they were their typical 8th grade selves, chatting wildly and securing seats for their friends. I began by telling them that there was a situation in New York and they refused to believe me.  I had played a trick on them the previous week so many of them looked at me in amusement and waited for the punchline.  Rather than trying to convince them, I grabbed a radio and turned it on.

For the next hour we sat and simply listened as the world changed with each passing minute.  Some kids stared at the radio while others quietly prayed.  We were all too shocked to cry.  That came later as the numbers lost being reported became humanized through pictures and stories.  It was one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had as a teacher. 

Today, I had to eventually turn the television off and went out for a bike ride with the intention of visiting our 9/11 memorial that was dedicated on Friday.  Since that fateful day 10 years ago a group known as the Bayshore Patriots have gathered each Friday on Bayshore Boulevard.  The corner where they gather is now home to a beam from the World Trade Center.  As I visited a steady stream of people crossed the street to pause and reflect at the memorial. 

Despite the nightmare that occurred 10 years ago, I have been encouraged by how good actually came from it in the form of memorial foundations and charities established in their honor.  The families actually took that pain and turned it into something positive.  Could there be a better legacy?

No comments:

Post a Comment