Saturday, February 8, 2014

Storehouse: Visual Storytelling






I have to admit that tapping on the App store gives me a bit of anxiety.  Each time there's a brand new arrival of new and wonderful apps that are going to revolutionize life as we know it, or at least claim to.  Then there's Flappy Bird but that's a whole new and frustrating blog post. 

At times I get a bit of app overload and just as soon as I get really used to one, then another new great one pops up.  Storehouse is one that has caught my eye and creativity recently.  Basically, it is a visual storytelling platform that allows user to create stories through text, pictures, and short videos. It has a very user friendly layout and allows users to upload directly from an iPad through the camera roll, Dropbox, and Instagram.  It is so easy that within minutes it is possible to create a beautiful and engaging presentation.

Over the past few weeks, I have become a bit of an addict to the app which is pretty rare.  My ADD self generally gets tired of apps very quickly and I delete them, looking at them again only when I peruse all my past purchases(amazing how they add up). I have had a wonderful time going through old pictures and videos to create my first stories.

I look forward to having students use Storehouse and envision that it will be very useful in creating projects that involve photography.  In the near future, my Civics classes will work on a project in which they take photos of the Constitution at work in our daily lives.  I plan on setting up a class account so that they may each submit their projects to one site.  I can imagine that by working with the app, many new opportunities will present themselves.

Being such a new app, I am excited to see how it will grow and improve.  I do hope that Storehouse will provide a good way to embed stories on outside websites.  I would like to be able to directly embed my stories on my own website without having to go to the app.  I look forward to new and improved updates.

With all that said, I simply encourage everyone to give Storehouse a try and begin to experiment with it.  Look to the stories that are already created.  Not only do they provide inspiration, they are also great entertainment.  Be sure to check out my own stories by searching for One if by Land Adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment